Wednesday, July 11, 2012

New Mexico Road Trip 2012, day one Cañon & Crestone

On the first part of our journey, I was looking at all the life.  There were plants and birds and rocks and things...  We drove much, and stopped somewhat frequently and briefly to get gas or food and to stretch & pee.  Nearing our destination we drove through the Rio Grande gorge seeing, increasingly, signs about UFOs.  In Canon Colorado at a place called Pizza Madness, build into an old tavern or dance hall down town, there were spacy sculptures.  One of a giant UFO with funky aliens popping out the top.  Below it sat a old hippy grandmother, full of character in her thick glasses, a crocheted shawl over one shoulder.  She was there just enjoying a solitary meal, and I regret not having spoken to her, for I'm quite sure she would have many a story to tell.  In twelve hours we reached our destination for the day, Crestone Colorado.  My lovely soul-sister-mama Usnea was welcoming and beamed about finally having her own home.  As we lay together in her king sized bed that night with the blind Jack Russel terrier named Derby warming up between us, we caught up.  I spoke of my skirt designs and of the lovely Thunderbird cloud pattern than 'flew' slowly over the Hemp Hoedown under the full moon to the strains of Lee Walsh's psychedelic music.  She spoke of camping with her friends in the sandy outbacks where the only amenity was the 'bear box'; a container to keep your food safe from the bears and of UFO sightings in her area.  I told Usnea about my truck and how I had plans to build my gypsy camper onto it.  We talked of hippy celebrations and communes around the country we'd like to visit in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment